Chapter 5, Section D:|
or Upgrade of a CDL
Revised August 14, 2013
Requirements when renewing a CDL
- Applicant must surrender current New Mexico driver license.
must present a current DOT Medical Examination Certificate (Long Form)
and/or Medical Waiver issued by the Federal Motor carrier Safety
- If current license has a
Hazardous Materials endorsement (“H” or “X”), the applicant must take
and pass the hazmat written exam and fingerprint/background check before renewal will be issued. If applicant does not pass the
exam, applicant can either be issued the renewal without the endorsement
or return in a week to retake the exam. If applicant does not pass the
written exam and chooses to have the license renewed without the endorsement or if
applicant wants to simply drop the endorsement, the clerk should have
the driver fill out a surrender form.
- Applicant must not be subject
to any suspension, cancellation, revocation or disqualification in any
- Applicant must fill out commercial driver statement on
Requirements for Replacing a Lost or Stolen CDL
- Applicant must present proof of identification (Refer to
- Applicant must present current DOT Medical Examination Certificate and/or Medical Waiver issued by the Federal Motor carrier Safety Administration.
- Query applicants driving on the New Mexico driver record, CDLIS and PDPS systems.
- Applicant must not be currently subject to any suspension, cancellation, revocation or disqualification in any state.
- Applicant must fill out a Driver License Surrender Form (MVD-10231) attesting that his license was lost or stolen.
Requirements for commercial license upgrade
- Applicant must pass all required knowledge tests for upgrade.
- Applicant must pass the required skills test for upgrade.
- Applicant may not be suspended, cancelled,revoked or disqualified in any state.
- Applicant must have current DOT Medical Examination Certificate and/or any medical waiver issued to him.
- If applicant has a hazmat endorsement on current commercial license, exam must be retaken anytime the hazmat endorsement period is renewed.
- Applicant must have at least a valid New Mexico driver’s license and a current New Mexico instructional permit for the class of commercial driver’s license requested.
Return prior license with 1-hole punch
When a prior CDL is surrendered (whether
in- or out-of-state and whether renewal, replacement or upgrade), punch
one hole through the old license. The hole should be carefully punched
so as not to destroy or make illegible any information (including expiry
date) or the customer's photo. Return the hole-punched card to the
customer with his or her new license (PQU#60). If a driver is obtaining a CDL permit
(i.e. new or for upgrade), do not invalidate
his current license as this is needed in addition to the CDL permit.