Chapter 6, Section C:
Required Documents for all Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDLs)

Revised August 23, 2013

Every applicant for renewal or replacement commercial driver's license (CDL), must provide the following documents:

  • Current CDL;
  • USDOT Commercial Driver Medical Certificate and/or Vehicle Certification Form (MVD-10414); and
  • Driver Certification for Issuance of a Commercial Driver's Permit or License (MVD-11222).

Every applicant for a first-time commercial driver's license (CDL), CDL permit or out-of-state transfer must provide the following documents:

  • Proof of Social Security Number (SSN);
  • Proof of identity and U.S. citizenship (or) lawful permanent residence in the U.S.;
  • USDOT Commercial Driver Medical Certificate (or) proof of employment by a government entity;
  • Two (2) proofs of physical residency showing a New Mexico address; and
  • Driver Certification for Issuance of a Commercial Driver's Permit or License (MVD-11222).

Additional information clarifying each of these requirements is provided below.


  1. The documents listed below are only the most basic requirements for all CDL applications. They do not include additional requirements for specific CDL license classifications and endorsements.
  2. Field office personnel always have the ability and responsibility to inquire further, and may request additional documentation, if there is reason to suspect that documents provided are not legitimate. If in doubt consult your manager, who may in turn consult with the appropriate Bureau Chief. Field office managers and staff are also reminded to review PQU#6 (Reports of Possible Fraud, August 9, 2006) for guidance in situations where fraud is suspected.

Proof of Social Security Number (SSN)

Every CDL applicant must produce either his or her Social Security card or the Verification of Social Security Number printout from the Social Security Administration, or two (2) of the following documents to verify the SSN:

  • a U.S., state, or local government-issued medical card
  • a statement from a federally regulated financial institution
  • a photo ID card issued by the United States Military or Coast Guard or the New Mexico National Guard
  • an identification document issued by the United States Veterans Administration (VA), if it is accompanied by a VA Medical Center ID card
  • a valid United States active duty, retiree or reservist military ID

Proof of identity and U.S. citizenship (or) lawful permanent residence in the U.S.

Identity/U.S. citizenship:

  • An Original Birth Certificate filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency in the individual’s State of birth, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
  • An Original Certified Copy with Seal of any above listed Birth Certificate (Copy of a certified copy will not be accepted)
  • Valid, unexpired U. S. Passport
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U. S. Department of State (Form FS - 545 or DS – 1350)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N – 550 or N – 570)
  • Certificate of U. S. Citizenship (Form N – 560 or N – 561)

(or) Lawful permanent residence in the U.S.:

  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Alien Card, issued by the USCIS or INS (I-551)

USDOT Commercial Driver Medical Form

The following may be accepted in lieu of the USDOT Commercial Driver Medical Certificate:

  • If driver is employed by a government entity, (city, county, state, or federal), and exempt from holding a Medical Certificate, proof of employment to be verified with an employment Photo ID Card or a Vehicle Certification Form (MVD-10414) signed by the Employer or Supervisor.

Two (2) documents to prove New Mexico residency

  • A real property rental agreement or purchase agreement
  • A utility bill, such as water, gas, electric, waste, telephone, cable or satellite bill, but not a bill for a cell phone
  • An insurance bill or other document verifying current coverage such as Automobile, home or health
  • A bank statement
  • An employment pay stub that contains the applicant’s name and address
  • A local property tax statement or mortgage documents
  • Proof of a minor child enrolled in a New Mexico public, private or tribal school
  • Current New Mexico Motor Vehicle Registration with physical address
  • Original documents from a New Mexico community organization attesting to the fact that the applicant is a NM resident
  • Original documents from a city, county, state, tribal or federal government organization attesting to the fact that the applicant is a NM resident
  • A New Mexico medical assistance card
  • A New Mexico public assistance card

To be acceptable as proof of residency a document must show a New Mexico physical residence address. A New Mexico P.O. Box address is not acceptable as evidence of NM residency.

All documents must be original or certified copy. MVD will also accept copies that are sent directly from the agency that issues or holds the documentation. All documentation must be current. Documents that applicants receive on a monthly basis, such as insurance and utility bills and bank statements, must be dated no more than three months prior to the date of application for a CDL.

Name Change

Any of the following documents may be accepted to verify a customer's name change on a New Mexico identification card or driver's license:

  • marriage license,
  • court order,
  • divorce decree, or
  • (for name corrections) birth certificate