Chapter 16, Section C:
Titling and Registering Used Off-Highway Vehicles

Revised August 27, 2008

Requirements for Titling and Registering Used Off-Highway Vehicles

  1. Certificate of Title (Current) or Affidavit Certifying Ownership (ACO) The primary document required to register and title a used off-highway vehicle in New Mexico is the previous outstanding negotiable Certificate of Title properly assigned to the purchaser. On used off-highway motor vehicles purchased or owned prior to April 4, 1985, all available ownership documents including the Title, if it exists, must be surrendered.

    In the absence of the ownership document from out of state, where title and registration may not be required, the official document shall be the “Affidavit Certifying Ownership” form (MVD-10010) with (as proof of ownership) an invoice, contract, or registration certificate. The person reflected on the invoice, contract, or registration certificate document must sign the Affidavit Certifying Ownership. Refer to the most current Polk manual for guidance.

    Note: The different titling procedures are the same as for trailers. Many states do not title and/or registered off-highway vehicles.
  2. Bill of Sale
  3. Dealer’s Invoice (when off-highway vehicle purchased from a dealer)
  4. VIN Inspection – required for all out of state titles
  5. Proof of Trade-In (as needed).
  6. Release of Lien (As needed).
  7. Proof of Residence
  8. Identification
  9. Power Of Attorney (POA) (as needed)
  10. Lien Holder Information (as needed)

Issuance of License Plate

Issue “OH” prefix license plates to all off-highway motor vehicles. The license plate is to be displayed on the rear of the off-highway vehicle. In all cases the plate must be visible.

Off-highway vehicles are issued a staggered (2-year) registration sticker, the computer system will print the registration certificate with an expiration date of 2 years.

Note: Vehicles manufactured for off-highway use cannot be registered as street legal. Off-highway vehicles have been manufactured solely for off-high way use. The Motor Vehicle Division will not register off-highway vehicles as “street legal” vehicles even if they are modified by the owner, mechanic, dealer, etc.