Chapter 18, Section C:|
Neighborhood Electric Cars
Revised June 8, 2009
Neighborhood Electric Cars (66-3-1103)
- A neighborhood electric car shall be equipped with head lamps, stop lamps, front and rear turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, a parking brake, at least one interior and one exterior rear view mirror, a windshield, windshield wipers, a speedometer, an odometer, braking for each wheel, seat belts and a vehicle identification number.
- Except as provided in C or D below, a neighborhood electric car that is properly registered; in compliance with the Mandatory Financial Responsibility Act; and driven by an individual with a valid driver's license, may be operated on any street, roadway or highway if the posted maximum speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less; provided, a neighborhood electric car may cross at an intersection or permitted crossing point at any street, roadway or highway that has a posted maximum speed limit higher than 35 miles per hour.
- A local authority may prohibit the operation of neighborhood electric cars on any road under its jurisdiction.
- The department of transportation may prohibit the operation of neighborhood electric cars on any road under its jurisdiction.
- Neighborhood electric cars are exempt from: (1) the emblems or flashing lights requirement for slow-moving vehicles (Sec. 66-3-887); (2) any requirement for vehicle emission inspections; and (3) the minimum (45cc) motor displacement requirement of Section 66-7-405A.