Call Us Email Map Contact Us
Search Button

What are the requirements to get a New Mexico commercial driver license (CDL)?

 with 0 Comments

A non- commercial (regular, Class D) New Mexico driver license or a valid out- of- state CDL is required to get a New Mexico commercial driver license (CDL).

At the MVD office you must:

  • Pass the written test(s) pertaining to the class of CDL and any endorsements applied for;
  • Get a CDL learner’s permit; and
  • Pass a skills test administered by an approved CDL examiner

After receiving your skills test scores, bring the following to the MVD:

  • All required documents, as detailed below
  • Driver license
  • Learner’s permit
  • Sealed envelope with skills test scores

Written tests are not required to exchange a valid out- of- state CDL for a New Mexico CDL with the same class and endorsements.

Any driver needing a hazardous materials (Hazmat) endorsement must take a written test, be fingerprinted and get a background check.

Note: Not all MVD Field Offices issue CDLs. To identify an office in your area that can handle your complete CDL application process, check the CDL Test and License Field Offices.

back to list

Join the Discussion:
Latest News:

Locate an MVD Office

Find an MVD Service Provider Near You

MVD Home          Site Map          Privacy & Security          Site Policies          Accessibility          About Us          Contact Us

Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham

New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division Facebook Page

Call Email Map Contact