- Maps & Locations
- Location Events & Closings
- Contact Us
- MVD Procedure Manuals
- Online Services
- Vehicle Registration
- License Plates
- Emission Testing
- Boats & ATVs
- Vehicle Definitions
- Parking Placards
- Driver’s Licenses / ID’s
- REAL ID INFO
- Driving Credentials
- Apply for a Learner’s Permit
- Apply for a New Driving Credential
- Renew a Driving Credential
- Replace a Lost or Stolen Driving Credential
- Reinstate a Suspended License
- Where’s My License?
- List of Acceptable Documents for Real ID Issuance
- List of Acceptable Documents for Standard Driver’s License
- ID Cards
- Change Your Address
- DWI Information
- Drivers Forms
- Report Fraud
- Resources, Forms & Information
- Pay Taxes / WD permits
- Dealers / Recycle / Partners
- Record Request Services
Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDL)
A non-commercial (regular, Class D) New Mexico driver license or a valid out-of-state commercial driver license (CDL) is required to get a New Mexico commercial driver license.
Written tests are not required to exchange a valid out-of-state CDL for a New Mexico CDL with the same class and endorsements. Any driver needing a hazardous materials (Hazmat) endorsement must take a written test, be fingerprinted and get a background check.
Is the CDL manual available online?
- Yes, please read the New Mexico specific addendum available here |Download PDF
- The CDL Manual is available here |Download PDF
If you do not have a valid out-of-state CDL, you must go to the MVD and complete the following:
- Pass the written test(s) pertaining to the class of CDL and any endorsements applied for. CDL applicants can take CDL written tests up to twice a week. There is no limit to the number of times they can take the test annually.
- Receive a CDL learner’s permit
- As of 02/07/2022 attend training in compliance of Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) with a training provider off the Training Provider Registry. Access website here: Training Provider Registry (dot.gov)
- Pass a skills test administered by anapproved CDL examiner.
After receiving your skills test scores, bring the following to the MVD:
All required documents, as detailed below:
- Driver license
- Learner’s permit
Verify CDL Skills Test scores electronically.
Note: Not all MVD Field Offices issue CDLs. To identify an office in your area that can handle your complete CDL application process, check the CDL Field Offices.
Required Documents for a CDL
You will need to take the originals of all these required documents:
- Out-of-state CDL or New Mexico driver license
- Proof of Identification number
- Commercial Driver Medical Certificate and/or any medical waiver issued;
- proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence status in the United States
- Two (2) proofs of physical residency in New Mexico. (All issuances documents must be within 60 days of the application date)
- Additional information clarifying each of these required documents is provided below.
- Proof of identity (including date of birth)
Commercial Driver Medical Certificate
All Commercial Driver Medical Certifications must be completed by a medical professional on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners. To locate a medical professional on this list please go to National Registry web site located here.
Commercial Driver Medical Examination Certificate- All Commercial Driver Medical Examination Certificates will be accepted as long as the issuing medical professional is on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.
If you are medically covered by a government entity, (city, county, state or federal), you can show your government-issued photo ID card, and bring in a Vehicle Certification Form signed by your employer or your supervisor. | MVD-10414 | Download PDF
Proof of identity, and U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence in the United States
Documents for Identity/ U.S. Citizenship:
An original birth certificate bearing an Official Seal issued by a State, County, Municipal Authority, or outlying possession of the United States (Hospital Registrations, Birth Records, or Birth Notifications will not be accepted).
An original certified copy of a birth certificate with an Official Seal by a State, County, Municipal Authority, or outlying possession of the United States (copy of a certified copy will not be accepted).
- Valid United States Passport
- Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the United States Department of State (Form FS-545 or DS-1350)
- Certificate of Naturalization (Form N550 or N570 or N578)
- Certificate of U. S. Citizenship (Form N560 or N561)
Documents for Lawful Permanent Residence Status in the United States:
- Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Alien Card – issued by the USCIS or INS (I-551)
- Two (2) documents to prove New Mexico residency (All issuances documents must be within 60 days of the application date)
To be acceptable as proof of residency a document must show a New Mexico physical residence address. A New Mexico P.O. Box address is not acceptable as evidence of NM residency.
All documents must be original or a certified copy. MVD will also accept copies that are sent directly from the agency that issues or holds the documentation. All documentation must be current. Documents that applicants receive monthly, such as insurance and utility bills and bank statements, must be dated no more than 60 days prior to the date of application for a CDL.
Still have questions? Email NMCDL.HelpDesk@state.nm.us