1. Home
  2. Out of State Transfer with a DWI

Out of State Transfer with a DWI

Out of State Transfer Law: Persons not to be licensed (§66-5-5)

  • The division shall not issue a driver’s license under the Motor Vehicle Code [66-1-1 NMSA 1978] to any person:
  • Section E. … who was convicted on or after June 17, 2005, of driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxication liquor or drugs under the laws or ordinances of any other state, the District of Columbia, or any governmental subdivision thereof, unless the person obtains an ignition interlock license as provide.

Steps to follow:

  1. You will need to go to the field office and apply for New Mexico License
  2. During the transaction you will get what’s called a hard stop
  3. Agent will email the DWI unit to get a respond on what you need to provide to qualify for a regular license.
    1. If you are applying for an interlock license, please know that New Mexico cannot sell an interlock license when you are suspended under an administrative action in the other state.
  4. You will need to bring with you the following documents
    1. Acceptable Documents
      1. The customer must provide the interlock installation and removal reports for interlock usage. For court compliance, the customer will always need to provide the judgement and sentence from the court.
    2. The DWI unit will determine if you will need to provide additional documentation or approve your license that you are applying for.