- Maps & Locations
- Location Events & Closings
- Contact Us
- MVD Procedure Manuals
- Online Services
- Vehicle Registration
- License Plates
- Emission Testing
- Boats & ATVs
- Vehicle Definitions
- Parking Placards
- Driver’s Licenses / ID’s
- NEW! REAL ID INFO
- Driving Credentials
- Apply for a Learner’s Permit
- Apply for a New Driving Credential
- Renew a Driving Credential
- Replace a Lost or Stolen Driving Credential
- Reinstate a Suspended License
- Where’s My License?
- List of Acceptable Documents for Real ID Issuance
- List of Acceptable Documents for Standard Driver’s License
- ID Cards
- Change Your Address
- DWI Information
- Drivers Forms
- Report Fraud
- Resources, Forms & Information
- Dealers / Recycle / Partners
- Record Request Services
How to Get or Renew an Identification Card
The New Mexico MVD issues secure identification cards to help protect New Mexicans from identity theft. Persons applying for a New Mexico identification card are issued a temporary ID card while their regular ID card is being processed and mailed.
If you have an old New Mexico driver license or an old ID card, it will be voided and may be used in conjunction with the temporary ID card, for up to 45 days from the date of issue.
You must go into a MVD Field Office to get your New Mexico identification card. Staff at any Field Office can issue your temporary identification card.
Documents Required for a REAL ID Identification Card
To obtain a REAL ID identification card, you will need to bring the following documents to any MVD Field Office:
To obtain a non-compliant Standard ID Card, you will need to bring the following documents to any MVD Field Office:
• One (1) proof of identity and identify number, and
• Two (2) proofs of New Mexico residency.
Please note, if you cannot provide proof of lawful status:
• you may only apply for the non-compliant Standard Identification card
Renew a New Mexico Identification Card
Please note: If you are renewing your current New Mexico identification card to obtain a REAL ID identification card or a non-compliant identification card for the first time, please follow the requirements for REAL ID and Standard identification card above.