1. Home
  2. Driver’s Licenses / ID’s
  3. DWI Information
  4. How to Get an Interlock License

How to Get an Interlock License

Interlock Guidelines & Requirements

  • A first-time ignition interlock license is $113.00.
  • A customer renewing his or her ignition interlock driver’s license must present a copy of the current contract with the ignition interlock provider and evidence of insurance showing that the individual is a covered driver of the vehicle. A notarized Ignition Interlock Affidavit (MVD-10456) is also required.
  • A receipt from the ignition interlock provider is not sufficient. A copy of the actual ignition interlock provider contract must be provided. That interlock provider contract must:
  • be in effect and current on the date that the ignition interlock license is renewed;
  • and must be complete, including both the vehicle identification number (VIN) and the signature of the interlock provider.
  • It is not necessary that the current contract extend through the license renewal period, only that it be current when the license is renewed.
  • Evidence of insurance must be in the form of an original insurance company document (not a photocopy) that clearly identifies the driver as an insured driver of the same vehicle that is covered by the ignition interlock contract.
  • A completed and notarized Ignition Interlock Affidavit (MVD-10456) is also required.
  •  The Traffic Safety Division of the Department of Transportation administers a legislatively mandated ignition interlock program to provide a subsidy to indigent offenders who are required to install an interlock device on their vehicles. More information is available on the DOT website.
  • Ignition Interlock Approved Providers and DWI Schools