Take the following documentation to any MVD Field Office:
- The current title or other ownership document(s) for the vehicle;
- The vehicle’s current odometer reading;
- Proof of identity and two proofs of New Mexico residency
- Proof of Identity – No SSN
- Proof of insurance, including policy number and insurance company name
In addition, a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspection is required for every vehicle coming to New Mexico from another state. The VIN inspection is usually done by a MVD agent at the MVD Field Office. However, not all Field Offices perform VIN inspections, and some require an advance appointment. It is recommended that the customer call ahead to inquire about VIN inspection availability and scheduling.
Additional documentation may be required for specific situations. For additional information on registering a new or used vehicle, visit Vehicle Registration.