What are the requirements to get a New Mexico commercial driver license (CDL)?

by | Aug 6, 2013 | Resources & Information | 0 comments


A non- commercial (regular, Class D) New Mexico driver license or a valid out- of- state CDL is required to get a New Mexico commercial driver license (CDL).

At the MVD office you must:

  • Pass the written test(s) pertaining to the class of CDL and any endorsements applied for, starting with the General knowledge test (taken and passed) then taking any specialty knowledge tests;
  • Get a CDL learner’s permit; and
  • Pass a skills test administered by an approvedCDL examiner

After receiving your skills test scores, bring the following to the MVD:

  • All required documents, as detailed below
  • Driver license
  • Learner’s permit
  • Test scores are to be verified electronically
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence status in the United States, Proof of Identification number, two proofs of physical residency in NM (all issuances must have proof of residency, they must be dated within 60 days of the application date.)

Written tests are not required to exchange a valid out- of- state CDL for a New Mexico CDL with the same class and endorsements.

Any driver needing a hazardous materials (Hazmat) endorsement must take a written test, be fingerprinted and get a background check. On or after 02/07/2022 all drivers applying for first time Hazmat must comply with ELDT and complete Hazardous Materials Theory training with a provider on the Training Provider Registry.

Note: Not all MVD Field Offices issue CDLs. To identify an office in your area that can handle your complete CDL application process, check the CDLTest and License Field Offices.