What documents do I need to take to the MVD Vehicle Division Field Office to get a New Mexico CDL?

by | Dec 28, 2020 | Frequently Asked Questions | 0 comments

You will need to take the originals of all these required documents:

  • out-of-state CDL or New Mexico driver license
  • Social Security Card
  • USDOT Commercial Driver Medical Form, Federal Medical Waiver Card, or proof of employment by a government entity
  • proof of identity (including date of birth)
  • proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence status in the United States
  • two (2) proofs of New Mexico residency

Additional information clarifying each of these required documents is provided below.

USDOT Commercial Driver Medical Form

Either of the following may be accepted:

USDOT or NM Commercial Driver Medical Examination Certification (Long) Form. Other states’ Commercial Driver Medical Examination Certification Forms may be acceptable, however, these must be approved by the New Mexico CDL Unit.

If you are medically covered by a government entity, (city, county, state or federal), you can show your government- issued photo ID card, or bring in a  Vehicle Certification Form signed by your employer or your supervisor.

Proof of identity, and U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence in the United States

Documents for Identity/ U.S. Citizenship:

  • An original birth certificate bearing an Official Seal issued by a State, County, Municipal Authority, or outlying possession of the United States (Hospital Registrations, Birth Records, or Birth Notifications will not be accepted).
  • An original certified copy of a birth certificate with an Official Seal by a State, County, Municipal Authority, or outlying possession of the United States (copy of a certified copy will not be accepted).
  • Valid United States Passport
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the United States Department of State (Form FS- 545 or DS- 1350)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N550 or N570 or N578)
  • Certificate of U. S. Citizenship (Form N560 or N561)

Documents for Lawful Permanent Residence Status in the United States:

  • Permanent Resident Alien Card – I- 551
  • Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the holder has been “Processed for I- 551”
  • Temporary I – 551 Stamp in Foreign Passport
  • Temporary I –551 Stamp on Form I- 94, Arrival /Departure Record, with photograph of the bearer
  • Permanent resident Re- entry Permit (Form I- 327)
  • Two (2) documents to prove New Mexico residency (All issuances, document must be within 60 days of the application date.)

To be acceptable as proof of residency a document must show a New Mexico physical residence address. A New Mexico P.O. Box address is not acceptable as evidence of NM residency.

All documents must be original or a certified copy. MVD will also accept copies that are sent directly from the agency that issues or holds the documentation. All documentation must be current. Documents that applicants receive on a monthly basis, such as insurance and utility bills and bank statements, must be dated no more than 60 days prior to the date of application for a CDL.