What tests do I need to take for the class of CDL I will be obtaining?

by | Aug 6, 2013 | Resources & Information | 0 comments


The written tests required for each class of CDL are as follows:

  • Class A license- general knowledge, airbrakes and combination
  • Class B license- general knowledge and airbrakes
  • Class C license- general knowledge. (The class C license is only valid with and H or P endorsement)
  • For the endorsements N (tanker) and T (doubles) you will need to take the written test.
  • For endorsements P (passenger) and S (school bus) you will need to take the written test and a separate road test in a passenger vehicle.
  • For the endorsement H you will need to take a written test and go through the background check and fingerprinting.
  • The General Knowledge test must be taken before any Specialty Knowledge test is taken.

NOTE: Effective 02/07/2022 Entry Level Driver Training must be complied with if the CLP was issued on or after 02/07/22 and:

  • An applicant is obtaining a Class A CDL or Class B CDL for the first time
  • Upgrading to a Class B or Class A CDL
  • Obtaining a Passenger (P) endorsement, School Bus (S) endorsement or Hazardous Materials (H) endorsement for the first time. (Hazardous Materials Theory training must be completed before the Hazardous Materials Knowledge Exam can be taken.)