Section A. Issuing an Instructional Permit
Section B. Instructional Permit Referral
Section A: Issuing an Instructional Permit
Revised December 5, 2017
Instruction Permit Available at Age 15 (§66-5-8(E))
Any person 15 years of age or older who is enrolled in and attending or has completed a driver education course approved by the Traffic Safety Bureau that includes a DWI prevention and education component, may apply to the division for an instruction permit.
This permit entitles the applicant, while having the permit in their immediate possession, to drive a motor vehicle upon the public highways when accompanied by a licensed driver who is 21 or older, who has been licensed for at least three years in this state or in another state, and who is occupying a seat beside the driver, except in the event the permittee is operating a motorcycle. A holder of an instruction permit for a motorcycle shall not carry any other passenger while operating a motorcycle.
All new and renewal instruction permits are issued by the Motor Vehicle Division for a four-year period, except when a shorter period is required due to a medical report or because the applicant will turn 21 in less than four years. Driver Ed schools are not authorized to issue new or renewal instruction permits.
Requirements for Obtaining an Instruction Permit
- Proof of identification number, identity and New Mexico residency.
Specific document requirements vary depending on whether the applicant will ultimately apply for a REAL ID driver’s license or a driving authorization card (DAC). (See Chapter 6 and Chapter 7)
- Proof that the applicant is enrolled in or has completed an approved Driver Education Program.
Must have a Driver Education Referral Card or Certificate of Completion.
- Proof of financial responsibility
- Vision test
- Written test or Certificate of Completion from a MVD-contracted driver education school
NOTE: Clerk should always utilize the space provided on the Driver Application to record all documents presented for identification and all other documents accepted to support the issuance of the Instructional Permit. Additional information may be captured in the remarks section of the IDL fee screen.
Prior to applying for a Provisional Driver’s License, the applicant must
- Hold the instructional permit for at least six months.
- Drive with an adult 21 or older who has been licensed for a minimum of 3 years.
- Complete a total of 50 hours of supervised driving practice, including at least 10 hours at night. A parent or guardian must certify in writing that these hours have been completed.
Section B: Instructional Permit Referral Card
Revised December 5, 2017
Instructional Permit referral card example
This card is still in circulation and should be accepted until further notice.