1. Home
  2. Resources
  3. Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Search Posts

What is a Mill Rate?

Mill rate is the cents- per- mile paid for the weight distance tax. The rate depends on the weight of the vehicle, and whether the vehicle is used for one- way hauling or two- way hauling (loaded both ways). Mill rates are listed on your quarterly tax report.

If I have a Farm Plate, can I go across state lines?

Possibly, some IRP jurisdictions allow special plated vehicles to travel in their jurisdictions without paying registration fees. However, farm carriers must have a New Mexico Tax Identification Permit and an IFTA license and decals when traveling across state lines.

What is the ICC?

The Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) was phased out. Currently, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issues operating authority for common or contract carriers that haul for hire. You can find more information on FMCSA Registration and Licensing...

What is an Exempt Motor Carrier?

Exempt motor carriers are carriers hauling farm and agricultural produce. Exempt products are raw materials that have not been processed and livestock. Intrastate exempt motor carriers must be registered for the Intrastate Warrant from the NM Public Regulation...

When are escorts required?

An escort is required for the movement of all widths exceeding 14 feet, and may be required for widths of less than 14 feet depending on the route. An escort is required for the movement of all loads that exceed 90 feet in length. Front and rear escorts are required...

What are Private MVD Offices?

Private MVD Offices have a contract with the State MVD to provide MVD services to the public. Private MVD Offices charge administrative fees,  in addition to any MVD fees that apply to your transactions. 

What is the fee for registering my vehicle?

The registration fee for passenger vehicles is based on the weight and year model of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $27.00 to $62.00 for a one (1) year registration or $54.00 to $124.00 for a two (2) year registration. Registration fees for trucks with a...

What automobile insurance am I required to have in New Mexico?

You must have an auto insurance liability policy with minimum coverage of: $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person, $50,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons, and $10,000 for property damage in any one accident. For more information on...

Does New Mexico require emissions testing?

Emission Testing is required only in Bernalillo County. Residents of the Bernalillo County and others who commute into Bernalillo County 60 or more days per year are required to have their vehicles tested and to provide proof that the vehicles have passed an emissions...